Poultry production / Production of eggs and egg products / Transportation of poultry to slaughterhouses
Transportation of poultry to slaughterhousesWhen transporting chickens to the slaughterhouse the method can be used as described in Transportation of poultry.
However, more and more companies are investing in systems to minimise risks and to ensure food safety (HACCP/GDP). Companies that pay more attention to the safety aspect, also pay more attention on how poultry is transported. The following systems are designed to ensure risks are minimised when animals are transported to a slaughterhouse:
• Well designed loading system
• Air-Flow flooring systems in the containers
• Temperature control and air refreshing system during transportation
• Washing systems of trucks and containers or crates
• Disinfectant spray of the wheels
Poultry is left in lairage for two to three hours to acclimatize after arrival at the slaughterhouse.